The Archery set functions for 90 minutes every day, including 30 minutes of exercise and balancing with dry shoots, dry balancing, breathing exercises, and warm up, and the balance 60 minutes for the dedicated training session.
There are three types of bows. The first is the Indian made of bamboo and wood which is used to teach basic concepts. At the second level, the Indian bow drawn power 125 fgs is used. In this stage the boys are taught secondary balancing with one hand. In the third stage the recurve bow is used. This bow and arrow, which is made of fibre glass, is used in national and International competitions.
The school has a part time coach who trains the boys in archery techniques that improve their accuracy in the field and at the range. Since the sport is physically and mentally demanding, the archers train in pranayams and breathing exercises, and undergo physical activity specific to archery to increase strength and endurance. In addition to teaching the correct posture, techniques for drawing the bow, anchoring, aiming etc. are also provided to the budding Eklavyas. The best safety equipment like arm-guards, chest-guards and finger-tabs are used to prevent injury.
The school Archery set comprises 30 students. The sport is pursued at three levels; Junior Houses and Senior Houses Groups A and B. The boys also take part in District, Division, State and National level tournaments. They also represent the school at Interschool and Open tournaments.
Mr. Arwind Tomar
- Aakash Agarwal was appointed as the School Archery Captain for the year 2018-19
- 8 boys participated in the Archery IPSC held at Assam Valley School and stood 1st in the tournament.
- 5 boys namely Divij Agarwal, Varun Kapoor, Vivek Pratap Singh Mavai, Gaurav Agarwal, Abhinav Yadav qualified for SGFI nationals.
- Divij Agarwal participated at international Crossbow championship held at Indonesia and represented India and stood 2nd in the championship.
- Aakash Agarwal, Sidharth Jain and Daksh Gupta was awarded half colour in Archery.
- Aakash Agarwal and Sidharth Jain were awarded with Galav khel Ratna Award.